Pond? Veggie garden? Labyrinth? Tear walls down, put walls up? You are invited to speak your dreams and wishes for SDC’s future. Save these dates, May 20 or 21: as many members of SBMG, VSZS, and SIM as can come are encouraged to join the Envisioning for improvements to the building, gardens, and grounds of SDC. You will be introduced to the “Charette” process, where each of us can freely share what works, or needs improvement, or innovation, in our space. We will brainstorm and give input, facilitated by Lynelle McNeil from SIM and her husband Steve, landscape architects – see link Charrette . Please participate in co-creating our dharma home! There will be a collaborative and transparent decision-making process that follows.
Family Sangha takes a hike! On Sunday morning, April 9th, 10-12, come join a nature walk guided by Mary Howard of SIM, starting at the Effie Yeaw Center. This outing is suitable for teens and tweens with their adult family member, as well as elementary and younger children. If you are an aunt or uncle, grannie or grandpa, or mom or dad who wants to bring together your love of the dharma with family life, please come! Please confirm details with this session’s coordinators, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
Climate sangha is participating in an interfaith planning process for the local people’s climate mobilization April 29th – stay tuned for details of how you can express your care for the Earth and all its creatures.
Here are newsy highlights from the quarterly meeting of SDC Board with Sustaining Sangha Boards on March 12th:
- The SDC set-up of the sanctuary was revisited when Sangha reps and the Art and Design Committee meet on 3/17, Sangha representatives were invited to attend;
- Clearer guidelines about clean-up “as appropriate” will be posted;
- Janitorial services are all-volunteer provided, a big thank you to our faithful helpers!;
- SDC and Sangha reps will explore whether to create a task force to respond to community situations such as hate crimes or humanitarian needs.
- SDC is receiving a multitude of requests for new events and activities. Between now and September, the Board will be developing guidelines and criteria for SDC sponsorship. Until then any new events and activities will need to be sponsored by one of the three sanghas.
- Jerry Simkins is the new SDC Volunteer Coordinator, ready to offer and coordinate rewarding short and long-term work projects;
- Having investigated repair costs, SDC purchased a new Energy Star HVAC system for the west lobby at $17,000, including a year of maintenance. The unit was installed on March 17th and will be discounted by a SMUD rebate;
- Reps from each Sangha; the SDC Board, and long-term volunteers will have three dharma discussions this spring with Hozan Alan Senauke of Berkeley Zen Center, studying The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony.
- Julia and Joette are researching methods of cataloging the many generously donated books for our up and coming SDC Library.
And this just in:
On April 1, the non-existent SDC Center for Canine Awareness will host a one-day seminar, “Meditation for Dogs.” Four-legged participants will chew on the Zen koan that asks “has a dog Buddha-nature or not?” Cat-lovers are encouraged to sit with this.